Monday 8 February 2010

Week two in South Africa....


Hey everyone, another week has now pasted. Time certainly goes fast when you are in a new and exciting place! I love it here. I have to admit I am more settled this week and starting to feel like part of society, I’am getting used to the taxis and the wind. Like the first week I have had a busy week where I am still meeting lots of new people. This week started on Friday 29th January, the international office had organised a city tour of Port Elizabeth so I charged the batteries and got my camera at the ready. The bus was leaving at 8:30am so I had an early start. The tour took us to exciting places around Port Elizabeth. We were first taken to the port. This is where the name Port Elizabeth comes from. Although Port Elizabeth is also know as the Nelson Mandela Bay. We were lucky on Friday as it wasn’t windy too windy, thankfully as I was wearing a skirt. The captain explained that there are two areas within the port, one for ships to export vehicles and the other was for fruit etc. The next time you eat a piece of fruit it may have been exported from South Africa so you can think of me! We also went to the Ford. This ford has never shot a canning. We could see the port in the distance. It was a beautiful day as you can see from the photos. It was nice to travel around areas of Port Elizabeth which we haven’t got to see yet. The best part of the tour was visiting a local township called New Brighton. When I first seen this I have to admit it was shocking that people live in the circumstances. If you looked out the left side of the bus, the houses were build with concrete bricks. These houses looked liveable and were brightly coloured. On the other hand if you looked out the right side of the bus, the houses were made a tin sheets and looked unliveable. In the middle of the township was a museum telling stories about the history of the township and what people suffered. These stories were heart breaking but I was glad to experience this as it makes me appreciate what I have. Although the living conditions seem unliveable these are small communities. People were selling items at the side of the road. Children were waving at us and there seemed to friendly atmosphere. Although these people do not have money or big houses they seem to be happy. We finished the tour with a shopping trip to Green arches. I didn’t spend too much money. I promise Mum and Dad!!



We had another busy day on Saturday as the international office had also organised a beach day with fun games and food. I had to call into University on Saturday. Yes I know being in university on Saturday is not cool. The beach day was very good as it allowed us the opportunity to meet other international students. There are students from all other the world, I love asking where people are from because you never know!... The games looked fun, I was too busy sunbathing. We finished the afternoon with a couple of hours sunbathing at the local swimming pool. This is located beside the beach and the waves crash over the wall. Yes I did get soaked. This was freshening as it was very warm. The pool area over looks the sea and should be in a holiday brochure. I enjoy the pool more than the beach, no sand, yipppeee…

On Saturday evening, we were invited to Les’s house from a traditional South African ‘Braai’. This is a barbeque to everyone back home. We were meeting the student teachers from America which I mentioned in my first blog. They’re a great group of people. It was a lovely evening with great company. I tasted new foods, I have now eaten Liver. Don’t think it’s for me!

After a few busy days I decided to enjoy a relaxing Sunday. A lazy day is a good remedy to being tired. I went to a Chinese which was the best meal which I have had since my arrival. I went out with three Germans. I had to ban them specking German as most of the international students want to improve their English.

Classes were starting on Monday so I needed to be organised but knowing me this was not the case. I firstly didn’t know what time my class was so I made a phone call. I was told that class started at 8:30am. This meant I had 20 minutes to get ready and travel to class. We are taking two education modules and a method class. My method class is business studies. I am in everyday at 8:30am which is not what I am used too. On Tuesdays were have observation which I am very excited for. We are also given the opportunity to experience alternative placements. I want to widen my school experiences and this will give me the opportunity too. Within my class there are around 90 students and only three international students. This is Jason from America and Johnny and I. I am studying on the PGCE program. Most of the students within this class have not come straight from College but have gained experience in various jobs. I was given an assignment on Monday which was due for Tuesday. I had not planned for this but the topic area is interesting to me.

I enjoyed class this week and I have not yet got lost. I think that because of the diverse range of people in the class that our class will be interesting. During one class the topic came up of the split in society between the coloured, black and white people. This is very similar to Northern Ireland where society was divided but with new generations this is now history. I believe from the conversation that South Africa is moving forward and for the better. I want to learn move about this and how people feel about this topic.

So this has been a busy week with sun burned feet, making two Norway girls, Stine and Hege 3 o’clock tea brought from home and in a teapot. This is a tradition for me and my mum. I also made proper dinner this week for the girls. We had potatoes of course.

Love and kisses from South Africa
xxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment