Friday 21 May 2010

Time is running out- 25th April-1st May



This week’s blog starts on a very sad note. I received news from that my Uncle Robin had died suddenly at home on 25th April 2010. When I chose to take a study aboard semester, I didn’t think that ‘things’ will happen at home. I certainly didn’t think that anything would happen my family or friends. Hearing this news from home was awful. I was in total shock and at first I didn’t even think about it. It was my mums older brother and the two of them were close therefore I knew that although my mum would be strong she would be sad. Aaron was still here, thankfully as when I was upset I could tell him about my sadness. I made a phone call home on Monday to see how my mum was. She seemed to be coping very well and told me about what had happened. Although this was sudden for my family, they were glad he suffered no pain. I decided that I would have to be strong so I went to school and carried on with my life here. We all have family members which we don’t speak to often and I hadn’t spoke to his wife or daughters in a long time therefore I wanted to let them know that although I am very far from them that I was thinking of them.

On Tuesday I made the hardest phone call to my family. I spoke to his wife, one of his daughters, my mum, 4 aunts, 3 uncles, a cousin, an aunt in law, my brother, his girlfriend and my dad. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have made but definitely one of the best. I felt crying and letting my family know that I was thinking about them helped in the progress of losing someone. I certainly love my family more and more each day that I am away. My mum and dad are certainly the best and I miss them dearly. They are who has shaped me into the adult which I have become. Robin was buried on Wednesday and when I knew that my family were saying goodbye to one of their loved ones that I thought of them, I may not have been there but I was there in spirit.




On a lighter note this week, Aaron was still here and having a longer holiday than first thought. On Sunday seen the annual Iron Man competition, a competition made for people who are mad it you ask me. For people who have never witnessed an Iron Man competition is consists of the following. A 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bike race and a marathon (26 miles 385 yards, 42.195 km) run, raced in that order and without a break. We walked to the pier, to the start of the race which started at 7am. The crowds watching were very supportive and I loved the atmosphere. The men and woman would swim for 2.4 miles, run out of water, change from their wet suits into shorts and t-shirt and jump on a bike, cycle for 112, jump off their bike and start to run a marathon. It was insane that people put themselves through this. We watched the first man and woman to come over the finish line. Some of the competitors nearly passed out once they reached the fininsh line. Their bodies looked very sore. It was fantastic day, the sun was shining, Aaron was here and friends from all over the world. Also we were having breakfast near the sea and we seen dolphins swimming past. This is normal sighting here in South Africa.

This was our last week of school and what a week to finish, it was only a three day week as Monday and Tuesday were public holidays. I’m not 100% sure but I heard that because Tuesday was a public holiday they take Monday as well. Maybe that’s an idea for Northern Ireland. Within South Africa there are has been lots of public holidays, it’s been great.

With Aaron still being here we decided to go an adventure. Two Northern Irish and three Germans set off to the local animal park, its called Kragga Kamma. We used a rental car which was a bright shade of green, we named it the green machine. We drove around the park looking at various animals. People often ask me why I came to South Africa is to study, they ask me did I think there was elephants and lions in peoples back garden. Of course I didn’t but with this park being so close to the city it would not surprise me if someone does find an animal in their back garden who has escaped. We also went to Sardina Bay. This is a beach not far from Port Elizabeth. It was beautiful, the waves were quite big and very forceful, the sand dunes were massive and the sun was shining. It was beautiful, a perfect way to finish off the public holiday.

As I had only two lessons left to teach in school, I wanted to finish off my wall display. As I said before, the walls in my classroom was bare, it was my mission to bring a bit of colour to this classroom. The learners had to answer questions on what they were selling, create a Gantt chart, timeline and a poster to advertise. This activity allowed them to bring all aspects together and understand how they fit together to create something. Through observation of the leaners, some groups were very creative and showed potential to be able to be successful in the business. I have noticed that about the young people here. Some are like ‘Dell Boys’, they could buy and sell before you know you have been sold. Within the combie’s, there would be a driver and maybe someone collecting your money. The ‘helper’ would try and get people to use their combie’s and would be shouting to potential customers and showing enthusiasm. They want to be successful and make money. Although saying this I’ve seen boys who are too young and I wonder why they aren’t in school. Is this a typical teacher talking, 21 years old going on 50 years old.




My last couple of classes were very rushed and was slightly disappointing as I was enjoying my time with the kids. I made them work very quickly and gave the learners homework to finish their projects as I wanted to celebrate their work and put it onto the wall. In Northern Ireland, we are told to celebrate what the learners achieve.






All learners have different learning abilities and educators should celebrate everyone’s work as they will have reached their own individual ability. I noticed that the ability of the learners varied with some completing the work extremely well, meeting their success criteria which I had provided. Some had the potential but were lazy. As we have smaller class sizes back home, I find that smaller classes definitely work better. I found that as the classes sizes are very big that it was hard for me to interactive on a more personal level with the learners. The learners had names which I couldn’t pronounce. Communication with the learners, knowing the learners on a personal level and knowing what way they work best were the difficult aspects which I needed to overcome. Maybe this was because of the class size, a different education system or a different culture which the learners are from. Most groups completed their projects, meeting their success criteria and overall completing to a high standard. I felt proud when I brought them home to look at them. Friends who came to visit me that night would want to see their work, they all commented on how creative some of the groups were. Being international, we look at things different within South Africa. We compare it to our lives in Europe and America. Especially when I would show photos from the school, broken windows, seats and tables broken and only a black board sometimes we think that although the learners don’t’ have material items that won’t create work to our standard. I probably believed this and when I looked at the work, I was surprised that the learners were creative.

Overall my school experience was enjoyable, I loved being in front of the classroom, being ‘Miss Lamont’. I have always wanted to be a teacher and being here has re-ignited the spark for teaching. In Northern Ireland, I find that teaching practise is very stress full. Teaching seems to be the last thing which happens during teaching practise. I understand that they want us to become the best teach possible but sometimes motivation can become low. Being here teaching in a school which didn’t have resources available made me realise that it is not about the resources we have but about the way we interact with the learners. Learners don’t learn effectively from a power point, they learn from the teacher.

School finished on a high, I gave the learners sweets and they thanked me for teaching them. It was a very special moment for me, a memory from my study aboard semester that I won’t forget.

Aaron finally left South Africa after being here for nearly a month. I hope he had a wonderful time and won’t forget the memories which we had together. It was certainly a brilliant birthday present. Thank you for a wonderful experience Aaron.

Now that school was over, summer time had arrived for me. I have one month before I go back to Northern Ireland so its time to enjoy relaxing in South Africa…

Until next time, Jayne
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment