Tuesday 8 June 2010

Time has ended...
















As I write this I am back in Northern Ireland where it’s suppose be summer time but as usual its raining and doesn’t look like the beautiful weather which I had in Port Elizabeth. I can’t believe that this is my last blog and I’m back safe and sound in Northern Ireland. It’s good being home, I’ve enjoyed spending time with my family and friends and of course my boyfriend but I can’t help but miss my wonderful ‘South African’ family. These people were the people which I seen everyday, which I went to when I had a problem and were there for me whenever I needed them. I miss them all so much. Once I get a job I shall start and save, I have many places to visit.

The past four weeks I have spent enjoying being in South Africa, I was enjoying long lay-ins, spending time with wonderful people and capturing every moment in South Africa. I would like to thank both international offices- NMMU and Stranmillis for organising this and providing me with a fantastic experience.

One of my highlights was meeting one of boys which are coming to Northern Ireland in September for a semester. His name is Lincoln and what an amazing and kind person. We met on the Friday for lunch and an opportunity for him to ask lots of questions about coming to Northern Ireland. We had lots to talk about and then he offered for me to come and stay at his house and attend a feast day at his church. He did warn me that I would attend mass twice once on Saturday and once on Sunday. I was excited for this I have only attended mass twice before so I was both nervous and excited. I think it’s good to be put out for your comfort zone. His aunt kindly picked me up and drove me to his area. He had explained that he lived in an area which wasn’t what I would be used too. He wasn’t ashamed to tell me about things about his house and area which he lived in and I respected him for doing this. We went to his house and it was small but had everything that someone needs. His mum was wonderful, she made me welcome and part of the family. This is one thing I missed, being in a home, not just a house. We went to mass and everyone was very welcoming and made me feel part of the community although I stood out with the colour of my skin. On both the Saturday and Sunday, the priest called me to the front when mass was taking place and introduced me to everyone. They clapped and welcomed me into their church. The ‘feast day’ was a success, it was such a fun day. I met a South Africa football player and was even in his car cruising around the township with him. At the feast day I tasted ostrich neck and it was delicious. Meeting Lincoln provided me with the opportunity to ask questions about living in a township and schools in this area. The township which I stayed in was a coloured township unlike the township which I taught in was a black township. These are similar apart from the language which they speak. Coloured people speak Afrikaans and black people speak Xhonsa. I learnt some basic Afrikaans words; it’s very similar to Dutch. I really loved this experience and I gained allot from this, learning about how people live and although they may not have much with regard to materials, they have the same quality of live that we have.

Football fever has certainly hit South Africa and although I won’t be in South Africa for the World Cup I will be flying the South Africa flag with pride. This is the first African country to host one of the biggest events in the world. I will be supporting a country which provided me with an excellent experience and made me intentional experience an incredible one. COME ON South Africa !!!

I have decided that I would keep this blog short but include photos which illustrate my wonderful experience in South Africa.

Until next time South Africa, I’ll miss you!
Jayne


No comments:

Post a Comment