Wednesday 24 March 2010

WeEk 8- a rElAxInG WeEk...

On Friday Jonny and I had our alternative visit to a local school called Cape Recife high school which is a public school for learners who have special educational needs. It was a good experience to visit a different school for children with special educational needs. This school serves children with a number of learning abilities. They include cerebral palsy and other physical disabilities such as children who have been left disabled because of accidents. We met a young boy, I think he was 16. He told us about how he was hit by a car in 1996. He told us how he doesn’t remember being hit by the car but remembers wakening up and told he would never walk again. Stories like this make me appreciate what I have. This guy has enthusiasm about life, he is a reminder that we should be grateful everyday. The teachers which spoke to us have excellent relationships with the kids. Within the school there is boarding part where some of the children stay as they live far away or their parents don’t have the correct facilities. The room was spacious and are able to look after the children in the best possible way.





The teacher who showed us around the school had a child who she is very close too. At the weekends she will take him home to give him a break from the school. She spends five days a week with the kids and still finds the time to take him home and look after him. This school had excellent facilities and the children here are getting an excellent education. They are provided with the correct help. Cape Recife high school is very similar to the schools back home. I really enjoyed this experience and hopefully will get the chance to go back for a couple of days once the term at NMMU finishes.

On Saturday we went on a train called the apple express. We left at 8:30am in the morning and set off on an old steam engine run train. We went through the country side, going past local townships. The children were running to wave at us. The children seemed so friendly and must know that each day the train will be passing. We had a picnic and relaxed at small farming village. We haven’t got to experience rural Africa yet. The people within the small village were very friendly, telling us about the local area. A good day had by all. On Saturday evening I had my first goodbye, first of many I’m sure. Kayla a trainee teacher from America was leaving and heading to Cape Town and then back to America. We went out for dinner at the boardwalk. My favourite restaurant called the news cafĂ©. I love the food there. It’s sad to think that I won’t see her again but it’s all about the experience here. It makes me grateful that I still have a number of weeks left.

This week with regard to class didn’t get off to a good start. I was woke by my two flat mates who are nurses. They leave every morning at 6:30 as they are here on placement. My class was supposed to start at 11 so I was able to have a lie in. Having got up the girls had told me that the taxi’s which we use to transport us to university were on strike. The reason to this is a man who is up for a murder trail is the boss (not really sure) but the taxi drivers had to show their support. This is a cultural issue which I find hard to think that people can’t go to school or work because their usual method of transport is not available. If he committed the crime he should do the time regardless of who he is. Comparing this to Northern Ireland, we also have gangs etc who can affect the everyday life of people. On Monday I had a day off and loved it. Little did I realise this week wasn’t going to get much better.


Every Tuesday we have observation at our placement school. The three international students have been placed together which I enjoy. It means we can sit beside each other in the staff room. Jason the other international student was away for the week so I missed him greatly. Because of this it was just Jonny and I for school on Tuesday but on Monday night Jonny wasn’t feeling good and wasn’t feeling well enough for school. As a result of this I couldn’t go to school. The reason to this as I wouldn’t feel safe entering a township school by myself. Back home I would never feel unsafe to go to a school but in this case I did. The area where the township is located is a number of different townships surrounding it. Jonny agreed and so did my coordinator from NMMU that it wouldn’t be safe. This was a shock as it is a reminder that although over the weeks I have become more relaxed there is very dangerous parts of South Africa where a white girl just can’t go.







Tuesday also seen the first birthday of a few in March. Hege a close friend was turning a certain age. (I'd tell a girls age). To celebrate a had a tea party. Stine and I cooked buns and I made a banner. To finish it off we had tea from home. Great afternoon with lots of gossip.
Saint Patricks day arrived finally. I love the fact that there are only two Irish here. Jonny and I are unique here. I really enjoyed celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day. I dressed in green, did some Irish dancing and enjoyed being Northern Irish! I kept telling every one I was Irish and people kept taking photos of me. I loved being centre of attention.



Love
Jayne xx

No comments:

Post a Comment